11 flexible skills that will advance your career
And quick tips on how to develop them. Subscribe to our Telegram channel. We often publish such valuable articles!
1. Healthy communication
- Listen to your interlocutor without interrupting.
- Positively talk to people.
- Watch your body language.
2 The art of persuasion
- Find out what is vital to the interlocutor or audience.
- Create stories and fine examples that will resonate with those audiences.
- Tell these stories and examples briefly and emotionally.
3. Negotiation skills
- Listen carefully to the interlocutor.
- Determine what the interlocutor wants.
- Do not devalue yourself or the people you represent.
- Offer solutions that benefit both parties.
- Show genuine interest in other people.
- Evaluate situations from other people’s perspectives.
- Acknowledge other people’s feelings.
- Support, not judge, people.
- Respectfully give your time and consideration to others.
- Read Seven ways to increase empathy.
5. Learn the skill of making connections
- Help others in any situation.
- Seek common interests with others.
- Offer something to someone first before asking for a favor or service.
6. A positive attitude
- Don’t gossip.
- Don’t complain.
- Criticize in moderation.
- Always speak well of other people.
- Don’t take all the credit if you haven’t worked alone.
- Celebrate the successes of others.
- Give generous praise to your peers.
8. Conflict resolution skills
- Avoid arguments and accusations.
- Concentrate not on the problem but on solving it.
- Do not hesitate to apologize if you have made a mistake.
9 Emotional intelligence
- Never act impulsively.
- Slow down with conclusions and words if you are upset.
- Analyze your feelings.
- Try to understand the consequences of your actions.
- Read Why do you need to develop emotional intelligence.
10. Time management
- Learn how to prioritize.
- Learn to delegate tasks.
- Learn to say no.
11. A sound work ethic
- Take responsibility for your work.
- Show up to work and meetings on time, and don’t blow off deadlines.
- Always keep your promises.
- Never shift blame to others.
Take the Menteora career guidance test; artificial intelligence will name your most suitable professions. The accuracy of the test is 70-80% because we use a mathematical-statistical algorithm (read about Menteora's unique career guidance methodology).